A temple in Toyohashi renowned for its maple trees, with 1,300 years of history.
This ancient temple of the Shingon sect is said to have been founded by the Buddhist monk Gyoki during the Nara period in 727 A.D. The temple has enjoyed the protection of Lord Yoritomo Minamoto, the Tokugawa shogunate government and others besides. The site is surrounded by an abundance of nature, and is especially well known for its beautiful autumn foliage. Along with many nationally designated Important Cultural Properties and other precious treasures, the temple is home to a statue of the Buddhist deity Acala Natha which is said to have been made so it was the same height as Lord Yoritomo Minamoto. The statue is exhibited to the public (a practice called "gokaicho") during the annual Shinryoku Matsuri Festival, and again in the Momiji Matsuri autumn leaves festival. Events such as concerts are also held in the temple under the heading "Tera TIME in Fumon-ji" (reservations and additional fees required), and the place is a familiar venue for people to get together and socialize.
|Posted photos||Main Niomon (Deva Gate)
Side Upper left: These Buddhist statues are a designated National Important Cultural Property, Upper right: Fumon-ji Temple with autumn foliage, Bottom: Daishi-do and main hall with autumn foliage
|Best season||Autumn foliage: From late November to early December|
|Date||● Shinryoku Matsuri Festival (Cultural property Gokaicho)
April 21st, 2019
● Momiji Matsuri autumn leaves Festival
November 30th, December 1st, 7th and 8th, 2019
* The cultural property Gokaicho takes place during "Shinryoku Matsuri Festival" and "Momiji Matsuri autumn leaves Festival" (9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., free admission).
* For special viewing of the cultural properties, you must make a reservation at least a week beforehand. (Available for groups of 10 persons and over / admission fee 500 yen)
* Shinryoku Matsuri Festival is scheduled to be held on the 3rd Sunday in April every year, and Momiji Matsuri autumn leaves Festival is on the last Saturday and Sunday in November, the 1st Saturday and Sunday in December.
|Address||7 Nabeyamashita, Unoya-cho, Toyohashi City, Aichi|
|Phone||+81-532-41-4500 (Japanese only)|
|Hours||8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.|
|Access||Take the JR Tokaido Main Line from "Toyohashi Station" of JR Tokaido Shinkansen for approx. 9 minutes, alight at "Shinjohara Station" and walk for approx. 40 minutes.|
|* The dates, times and fees for "tera TIME in Fumon-ji" vary according to the event (reservation required). Please check the website for details.|
updated on Mar 22, 2019
[wide area map]
- [sightseeing spots around "Toyohashi Station"]
Tokaido Shinkansen Stations