Tokyo Station, Shinagawa Station
[Yushima Tenjin Ume Matsuri]
Lively events are enveloped in the aroma of plum at the Ume Matsuri
Yushima Tenjin, which enshrines Lord Michizane Sugawara, is a place lots of students taking entrance exams visit, and is also one of Tokyo's famous ume-viewing spots. Great numbers of common folk are said to have enjoyed viewing the ume from as early as the Edo period, and the Ume Matsuri has been held since 1958 to coincide with the flowering period. Recently, the festival has grown to welcome about 400,000 people during the festival period, and is a unique event to mark the coming of early spring. Amidst the floral aroma, people parade with portable shrines, colorful traditional performing arts and open‐air tea ceremonies (paid) are held, and local products are sold.
|Posted photos||Main The precincts where some 300 ume trees 70 to 80 years old bloom proudly
Three photos Upper left Open-air tea ceremonies are also held during the festival period (paid), upper right There are many ume varieties from early-blooming to late-blooming ones, lower The gentle slope where you can enjoy a relaxing stroll in the traditional Japanese atmosphere
|Date||February 8th to March 8th, 2018|
|Address||3-30-1 Yushima, Bunkyo Ward, Tokyo|
|Phone||+81-3-3836-0753 (Japanese only)|
|Opening hours||8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.|
|Fee||Admission fee Free
Tea ticket 600 yen
|Access||Approx. 2-minutes' walk from "Yushima Station" of the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line.|
|* The open‐air tea ceremony is held from 10:30 a.m. on February 11th, 18th, 25th, and March 4th.
* May be canceled in cases of rain.
* The scheduled events are subject to change.
* Depending on the weather and natural conditions etc., it may not be possible to see views like the ones in the photos / article. Viewing periods for flowers / autumn leaves and event schedules are subject to change.
* The Yushima Tenjin Ume Matsuri is scheduled to be held every year from February to March.
updated on Mar 30, 2018
[wide area map]
- [sightseeing spots around "Tokyo Station, Shinagawa Station"]
Tokaido Shinkansen Stations