- > Shizuoka Station sightseeing spots
- > Sakura in Sunpu Castle Park, on the ruins of Ieyasu Tokugawa's Castle
[Sakura in Sunpu Castle Park, on the ruins of Ieyasu Tokugawa's Castle]
Never mind about the 500 sakura trees - the "Ogosho Hanami Gyoretsu" is a must-see!
The park is built on the ruins of Sunpu Castle, where Lord Ieyasu spent the final years of his life, and is a well-known for sakura destination. In an average year from the end of March, the approximately 500 somei-yoshino sakura trees planted in the park and along the banks of the moat burst into blossom proudly, and crowds of visitors flock to enjoy hanami. The sakura are lit up at night. Sakura aside, there's one more unmissable sight to see here. If you walk around the moat you'll be treated to the magical sight of a "hanaikada", or "flower raft", created as the sakura blossom petals flutter down from the trees, settle on the surface of the water and drift elegantly round.
|Viewing period||End of March to beginning of April|
March 22nd to April 7th, 2019 (planned)
|Time||Sunset to 10:00 p.m. (Illuminations)
* Subject to change depending on flowering periods.
|Address||1-1 Sunpujokoen, Aoi Ward, Shizuoka City, Shizuoka|
|Phone||Suruga Planning Tourism Association
+81-54-251-5880 (Inquiry time 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. on weekdays) (Japanese only)
|Access||Approx. 15-minute walk from the north exit of "Shizuoka Station" of JR Tokaido Shinkansen.|
|URL||http://www.shizuokamatsuri.com/ (Shizuoka Festival)
http://www.city.shizuoka.jp/354_000016.html (Shizuoka City)
|* The illuminations are of light-sensor type, so the time they light up may change depending on the weather of the day.
* Depending on the weather and natural conditions etc., it may not be possible to see views like the ones in the photos / article. Viewing periods for flowers / autumn leaves and event schedules are subject to change.
updated on Mar 22, 2019
[wide area map]
- [sightseeing spots around "Shizuoka Station"]
Tokaido Shinkansen Stations