- > Take a trip to the town overlooked by Odawara Castle
- > Odawara Castle
Castle of the Hojo family of Odawara, the samurai leaders of Kanto area
Odawara Castle was as an impregnable castle owned by the fifth daimyo of the Hojo clan, the samurai family that governed Kanto area for about a century from the end of 15th century. From the Edo period, the castle became a reserve for Hakone and Tokaido and functioned as a cornerstone of defense in the Kanto region. The current castle tower was rebuilt in 1960, and reopened in May 2016 after the completion of a seismic retrofit and renewal of the exhibition etc. This three-layered, four-story castle tower has a tsuke-yagura (connecting tower) and watari-yagura (hall turrets) on the top. A full view of Sagami Bay can be observed from the top floor. Besides this, in October 2016, Tokiwagi Gate SAMURAI museum newly opened within the square where the castle tower rises up. Visitors can enjoy an exhibition that truly captures the artistry of the armor and the spirit of the samurai. The park on the castle premises is renowned for its flowers, and many people visit during the plum, sakura, iris, hydrangea and chrysanthemum flowering seasons.
|Address||6-1 Jonai, Odawara City, Kanagawa|
|Phone||+81-465-23-1373 (Main line for the castle tower)(Japanese only)|
|Opening hours||9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Last admission is 30 minutes before closing time)
* Opening hours may be extended depending on the season.
|Holidays||from December 31st to January 1st.
*Castle Tower close on the second Wednesday of December, too.
|Admission Fee||Odawara Castle Tower: Adults 500 yen, Elementary and junior high school students 200 yen
Tokiwagi Gate SAMURAI museum: Adults 200 yen, Elementary and junior high school students 260 yen
Odawara History Museum: Adults 300 yen, Elementary and junior high school students 100 yen
* Joint tickets for two or three facilities are available. Please check the website for details.
* The Odawara Castle Rekishi-Kenbunkan Museum will be closed for a seismic retrofit from August 1st, 2018 to around mid April, 2019. The joint ticket for the three facilities is not available during the renovation period.
* Admission free for the castle park. (Open everyday)
|Access||Approx. 10-minute walk from "Odawara Station", JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line.|
|Photo credit||Odawara Castle Tower|
updated on Mar 30, 2018
[wide area map]
- [sightseeing spots around "Odawara Station"]
Tokaido Shinkansen Stations