[Koganezaki Crystal Park]
Enjoy magical beauty at this glass-themed park
Ugusu in Nishi-Izu Town is a "center of glass culture", where silica stones—the main ingredient of glass—had been mined for over 70 years. Located in this land of glass is Koganezaki Crystal Park. At Koganezaki Glass Museum, you will be treated to outstanding pieces of contemporary glass artwork created from the 1960s onward, both within and outside Japan. The exhibits glisten magically under the natural light shining in from the glass dome above. At the workshop, you can try your hand at sandblasting and making stained glass (both for an additional fee). With a gallery where you can learn more about glass and a restaurant, too, you can spend all day getting to know more about the wonders of glass.
The museum changes its exhibits several times a year, while always having about 90 works of glass art on display.
Upper left: Koganezaki Crystal Park is located in Ugusu, Nishi-Izu Town (formerly Kamo Village), which was one of the largest producers of silica stone in Japan. Upper right: A wide variety of Japanese- and Western-style glass products line the shelves in the shopping area. Bottom: With sandblasting, you create patterns by blasting the surface of the glass with sand. (Additional fee required. The photo is an example.)
|Address||Ugusu 2204-3, Nishi-Izu Town, Kamo County, Shizuoka|
|Phone||+81-558-55-1515 (Japanese only)|
|Opening hours||9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (The restaurant closes at 4:30 p.m.)|
|Holidays||Open every day
* There may be unscheduled holidays due to exhibition changes, maintenance, etc. Please check the website for details.
|Fee||● Glass Museum admission fee
Adults (high school age and over) 800 yen
Elementary school students and junior high school students 400 yen
Children under elementary school age Free
● Workshop fee
- Sandblasting (time required: approx. 60 minutes): Fees start at 1,430 yen
- Making stained glass (time required: approx. 90 minutes or more): Fees start at 1,990 yen
- Fusing (time required: approx. 30 minutes; the finished items will be sent later): Fees start at 1,650 yen
- Making gel candles (time required: approx. 60 minutes or more): Fees start at 1,670 yen
|Access||Take the Izu Hakone Railway from "Mishima Station" of JR Tokaido Shinkansen for approx. 35 minutes, and alight at "Shuzenji Station". Take the Nishi-Izu Tokai Bus bound for Matsuzaki for approx. 75 minutes, and alight at "Koganezaki Crystal Park".|
updated on Oct 1, 2019
[wide area map]
- [sightseeing spots around "Mishima Station"]
Tokaido Shinkansen Stations